Tuesday, March 16, 2010


Unagi Don

Here is a very quick yet delicious dinner…unagi over brown rice. At certain Japanese restaurants unagi don can cost an arm and a leg. However, made at home this can be a very affordable meal.

For those unfamiliar, unagi is bbq or grilled freshwater eel from Japan. Wait – before you say ewwww, you got to try it. On the other hand, if you have tried it and still don’t like it…I guess more for me.

I love unagi and lucky for me frozen unagi has been on sale and pretty cheap here lately. There are normally English directions on the package that are easy to follow. I would advise either boiling the package in water to heat it up or defrosting then sticking it in the broiler oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Tonight I used the broiler

method.

And for anyone interested, the garnish on top of the unagi is Japanese pickles flavored with shiso (Perilla). The one in the picture is among my favorite tsukemonos (Japanese pickles)!

Be careful, unagi tends to be on the fattier side. Just remember…moderation. And if you are trying to be healthier, don’t forget to serve it over brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment