Tuesday, March 16, 2010




Salmon Brown Rice Chazuke

I got home for dinner really late last night. With no time to cook a full meal, it was chazuke for dinner.

Chazuke or Ochazuke is a Japanese dish. It’s sort of like a really mild tasting soup. Usually it’s made with Japanese white rice, green tea, and some kind of salty topping. My healthier version used brown rice and worked out well. I liked the way the nutty flavor of the brown rice matched with the flavor of the green tea. It was very earthy tasting…in a good way.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup brown rice
1 cup green tea

DIRECTIONS
Cook the brown rice according to the package instructions.
Place it in a bowl and cover with hot green tea.
Add your furikake (or other topping) and mix.
2 Tbsp. furikake

NOTES
I used a salmon furikake that is made up of bits of salmon, nori, sesame seeds, and salt. Another popular topping that you could add is tsukemono or Japanese pickles. I would have added some tsukemono on to mine but I was too tired to walk back to the fridge once I thought about it. That’s okay, next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment